Medicus Healthcare Solutions recognizes physician assistants (PAs) who work locum tenens, as well as those with permanent positions, for the valuable contributions they make to improve access to healthcare year round. We thank you for providing exceptional, greatly needed medical services at America’s hospitals, health systems, practices, clinics, and urgent care centers. And we deeply appreciate your commitment to the delivery of quality, patient-centric care.
In honor of National PA Week (October 6 – 12), we are pleased to highlight a number of meaningful statistics provided in an annual report from the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants. This information may be shared with colleagues, patients, and family members and underscores the significant impact the PA profession has had on healthcare.
- Fifty years ago, the first class of three PAs graduated from the first PA program, which was offered at Duke University.
- Today, there are more than 115,500 certified PAs practicing in all specialties and clinical settings in every state as well as Washington, DC.
- The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant anticipates the number of PA educational programs will increase from 218 today to 270 by 2020.
- The top five states ranked by the number of certified PAs are New York, California, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
- The top five states ranked by concentration per 100,000 population are Alaska, South Dakota, Pennsylvania, New York, and Montana.
- In 2016, the median age of certified PAs was 38.
- In 1980, 36 percent of PAs were female. Today, 67.7 percent of all certified PAs are female.
- U.S. News & World Report ranked physician assistant No. 3 in the 100 Best Jobs of 2017.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the PA profession will grow 30 percent between 2014 and 2024.
- The average number of patients seen per week for all PAs who work at least 40 hours a week and see patients in their principal clinical location is 74.
Happy PA Week 2017!
For more facts and figures about the PA profession, see the 2016 Statistical Profile of Certified Physician Assistants. To learn about locum tenens opportunities for PAs, call 855-301-0563 to speak with a knowledgeable Medicus Healthcare Solutions recruiter today.