Medicus Healthcare Solutions recognizes physician assistants (PAs) who work locum tenens, as well as those with permanent positions, for the valuable contributions they make to improve access to healthcare year round. We thank you for providing exceptional, greatly needed medical services at America’s hospitals, health systems, practices, clinics, and urgent care centers. And, we deeply appreciate your commitment to the delivery of quality, patient-centric care.
In honor of National PA Week (October 6 – 12), we are pleased to highlight a number of meaningful statistics provided in an annual report from the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants. This information may be shared with colleagues, patients, and family members and underscores the significant impact the PA profession has had on healthcare.
- Collectively, certified PAs treat approximately 9.1 million patients each week.
- In 2018, there were 131,152 certified PAs practicing in all specialties and clinical settings in every state, including 532 certified PAs who lived abroad.
- The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant anticipates the number of PA educational programs will increase from 238 today to 270 by 2020.
- The top five states ranked by the number of certified PAs are New York, California, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
- In 2018, there were 40 certified PAs per 100,000 population in the United States.
- For the past six years, the median age of certified PAs has remained 38.
- In 1980, 36 percent of PAs were female. Today, 68.8 percent of all certified PAs are female.
- U.S. News & World Report ranked physician assistant No. 1 in the Best Health Care Jobs of 2019.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the PA profession will grow 37 percent between 2016 and 2026.
- 22.8 percent of certified PAs discuss care with patients in a language other than English.
Happy PA Week 2019!
For more facts and figures about the PA profession, see the 2018 Statistical Profile of Certified Physician Assistants. To learn about locum tenens opportunities for PAs, call 855.301.0563 to speak with a knowledgeable Medicus Healthcare Solutions recruiter today.