A large, not-for-profit hospital system in Atlanta faced issues with their growing Hospitalist program. After working with several staffing companies and not achieving desired outcomes, hospital administrators enlisted Medicus Healthcare Solutions to develop and execute a course of action.
The level-3 trauma hospital struggled to attract and retain qualified physicians, which caused:
- The inability to schedule out proactively
- Lapses in coverage, compromising patient care
- Physician turnover and burnout
- Inefficiencies caused by communication with multiple agencies
THE MEDICUS SOLUTION.
Medicus offered a customized approach to provide effective solutions and address the hospital’s needs. Offerings included:
- Conducting a comprehensive assessment of the facility’s needs.
- Consultation with the Medicus Chief Medical Officer
- Designating an Account Manager as a single point of contact to organize and stabilize physician scheduling, nurture the client relationship, and expand the partnership.
- Allowing the hospital to focus time and energy on attracting permanent physicians.
- Utilizing a pin-pointed recruitment strategy and involving leadership in screening candidates, assuring both clinical capabilities and fit within the hospital’s culture.
- Helping locums physicians achieve seamless integration and become a vital part of the team.
- Exclusively staffing the facility with experienced locum tenens hospitalists from September 2017-August 2018.
Medicus’ uniquely tailored services and ability to swiftly respond to client needs achieved the goal of enhancing the Hospitalist program’s performance. Results included:
- Improved continuity of patient care.
- Reduced physician turnover and burnout.
- Increased the hospital’s Leapfrog Rating from a C to a B.
- Responded to increased demands for coverage, flexing up to 90 shifts a month at peak flu season and decreasing accordingly after permanent providers were introduced.
- Improved the scheduling outlook process from 30 to 90 days in advance.
- Prevented gaps in coverage, exceeded the facility’s expectations to fill day and night shifts, and placed a permanent provider.
- Satisfied a sudden staffing demand for pediatric hospitalist coverage.
- Facilitated the addition of 30 mid-level shifts and implemented a swing shift to ease physician caseload and increase efficiency.
To this day, Medicus continues to work with the hospital more traditionally. The trust established during this partnership has evolved into a strong and lasting relationship, demonstrating true success.