Connecting you to industry trends, tips, and news
Among the items featured today are news of a bill that could ease physicians’ frustrations about local coverage determinations, free trainings for providers to help ease the nation’s prescription opioid and heroin crisis, and select products that can make air travel more luxurious.
- Last month, the Local Coverage Determination Clarification Act of 2016 (H.R. 5721) was introduced in the House of Representatives by Reps. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kansas) and Ron Kind (D-Wisconsin). As reported by Arnold & Porter LLP, the bill’s purpose is “to improve the process whereby Medicare Administrative Contractors (MAC) issue local coverage determinations under the Medicare program. …” If enacted, the legislation will require MACs to follow certain procedures, including the publication of a proposed version of a determinations on the public internet website of the intermediary and a written rationale for the proposal.
- In a Diagnostic Imaging article published earlier this week, pediatric physician Rebecca Fox, MD, shares her strategy for marketing a new practice. Among the plans for her own recently launched practice, she suggests optimizing the practice’s website so it will show up earlier in Google searches, joining specialty organizations and networks, and hosting talks/discussions to highlight specific conditions.
- To expand access to drugs used to help treat opioid addiction, the federal government is offering free buprenorphine trainings for providers across the country and online, as announced in a White House news release last Friday, August 12, 2016. Director of National Drug Control Policy Michael Botticelli personally contacted the governors of all 50 states regarding the critical need for more physicians to receive training and become certified to treat people with prescription opioid and heroin use disorders.
- If you regularly fly for locum tenens opportunities, you likely stash a few personal items in your carry-on to kick your comfort level up a notch and enhance your experience. If you would like to feel even more pampered en route, Vogue recommends 18 travel-size luxuries that can turn coach into first class, including noise-canceling headphones, a cashmere travel set, and cucumber eye pads.
- Looking for an assignment locale that will delight your palate as well as your desire to bring quality medical services to patients in need of your knowledge and expertise? INSIDER shares the top 10 cities in the United States for foodies, as determined by the readers of Travel + Leisure. The metropolises that received top honors include New Orleans, Louisiana; Charleston, South Carolina; and New York, New York.
Here’s to a wonderful weekend!